Board of Pilot Commissioners For the Bays of San Francisco, San Pablo, and Suisun
660 Davis Street
San Francisco, CA 94111
Next Meeting: February 25, 2016 at 9:30 a.m.
660 Davis Street
San Francisco, CA 94111
RATE HEARING 2015
The Board of Pilot Commissioners has received a petition for a rate hearing from the San Francisco Bar Pilots (SFBP). A copy of this petition, accompanying Consolidated Financial Statement for 2013 and 2014, Pacific Merchant Shipping Associations opposition to the petition, and various documents related to the Rate Hearing are posted below:
- Petition for rate hearing dated February 23, 2015
- SFBP Consolidated Financial Statement 2013
- SFBP Consolidated Financial Statement 2014
- Notice of Rate Hearing to be held on April 1, 2015 at the Milton Marks Conference Center, Milton Marks Auditorium, 455 Golden Gate, San Francisco, CA 94102
- SFBP Petition and Evidence in Support of Change in Pilotage Rates
- PMSA Response In Opposition to SFBP Petition
- SFBP Section 237(d) Data, January 2, 2014 through December 31, 2014
- SFBP - Industry Agreed Expense Projections altering Exhibit (E) to the Declaration of Captain Peter McIsaac
- Corrected versions of Exhibits (A-1) through (A-8) to the the Declaration of Captain Gregory Tylawsky
- Board of Pilot Commissioner's retirement survey data (pdf format), January 2015
- Board of Pilot Commissioner's retirement survey data (xls format), January 2015
- Public Comment from the Western States Petroleum Association presented to the Board on April 1, 2015
- Pre-hearing Order dated March 26, 2015
- Board Findings and Recommendations resulting from the hearing
- Hearing transcript from April 1, 2015
- Hearing transcript from April 2, 2015
- Hearing transcript from April 10, 2015
The Board of Pilot Commissioners Pilot Fitness Committee is pleased to present a study titled "Pilot Fitness Study for the Board of Pilot Commissioners for the Bays of San Francisco, San Pablo, and Suisun" (.pdf) prepared by Dr. Robert Kosnik, M.D. of the University of California San Francisco Medical Center.
The study is the product of Dr. Kosnik's extensive research and the results of a series of public workshops conducted by the Committee that commenced on April 16, 2009. We believe the study and its recommendations will be of great value to the Board as it considers advances in pilot fitness standards and oversight. While the Board may not adopt every recommendation contained in the study, its various Committees will use this to guide them in developing future policy.
Pilot Fitness Committee Chairman, Captain Steve Roberts, would like to express his appreciation to Dr. Kosnik for his work, and to the subject matter experts who are his colleagues on the Pilot Fitness Committee and who contributed so much to the success of the endeavor - Brigadier General Chester Ward (U.S. Army, Retired), M.D., and Mrs. Barbara A. Price, a member of the Board of Trustees of the Alameda County Medical Center.
The Board of Pilot Commissioners for the Bays of San Francisco, San Pablo, and Suisun (the BOPC) is the oversight body that licenses and regulates the 58 pilots who make up the San Francisco Bar Pilots. The Board's responsibilities include training, licensing, incident investigation and rate determination. For more information about Board statutes, click the Links tab.
The BOPC was established in California's first Legislative Session. It has been in continuous existence since 1850, making it the oldest Commission in California.
Originally an independent state agency, on January 1, 2009 it became a department of the Business, Transportation, and Housing Agency, which has responsibility for the movement of goods throughout the state of California. On July 1, 2013, the Business Transportation and Housing Agency was re-organized. As a result of this reorganization, the BOPC became a part of the new California State Transportation Agency.
The BOPC is "tax neutral." All of its expenses are paid for by the shipping industry through surcharges on pilotage fees and not by state or local taxes.